At Bell Lane Primary School we are proud to offer the pupils a rich environment where imagination and creativity can be fuelled. We believe that literacy and communication are key life skills.
Through the English curriculum, we help pupils develop the skills and knowledge that will enable them to communicate effectively and creatively through spoken and written language and equip them with the skills to become lifelong learners.
Because literacy is central to the pupils’ intellectual, emotional and social development it has an essential role across the curriculum and helps pupils’ learning to be coherent and progressive.
We aim to develop pupils' abilities within an integrated programme of spoken language, reading and writing. Pupils will be given opportunities to meet the requirements of English within a broad and balanced approach across the curriculum, with opportunities to consolidate and reinforce taught literacy skills.
At Bell Lane Primary School, we strive for children to be ‘primary literate pupils’. By the end of KS2, we aim for a child to:
- To ensure that work in 'Spoken Language', 'Reading' and 'Writing' is integrated throughout the school.
- To teach pupils to speak confidently with intonation, clear diction and accurate grammar.
- Read and write with confidence, fluency and understanding, orchestrating a range of independent strategies to self-monitor and correct.
- Have an interest in books and read for enjoyment.
- Have an interest in words, their meanings; developing a growing vocabulary in spoken and written forms.
- Understand a range of text types and genres; be able to write in a variety of styles.
- Develop the powers of imagination, inventiveness and critical awareness.
- Have a suitable technical vocabulary to articulate their responses.