At Bell Lane, we believe that it is important to reinforce the learning we do in class during the week with practice examples at home.
Every child should be doing the following daily:
- Reading for 20 to 30 minutes (could be 10 minutes before school and then 10 minutes after school) and filling in their reading response books
- Practising their number bonds and/or times tables, and spellings
Homework is handed out on Thursdays and should be handed back in Tuesdays. This will consist of two pieces of work; one for Maths and one for English. The homework is linked to what they have learnt in class that week. Its purpose is to revise/re-visit the work, so that children can practise their skills and parents can see what they have been learning.
Useful things you can do to help your child at home:
- Get them to retell / recount a story or news report
- Measure ingredients whilst helping with the cooking
- Ask questions about what they have learnt that day
- Ask them questions about the time (How long...? At what time will...begin/finish? What will the time be in...minutes/hours?)
- Any real life situations (shopping, bus/train times, cooking, board games and museum/art gallery trips)